Monday, April 14, 2008

Ann Judson speaks

This year, we are not doing a bible study in conjunction with trip preparations. Instead, we are reading a book: My Heart in His Hands, Ann Judson of Burma, written by Sharon James. It is the story of the first American woman in foreign missions service. We are reading about the struggles of sickness , politics, lost children, emprisonment, and uncountable more horrible things she endured. But as we are reading about her trials, we are seeing her heart. No matter what was thrown in her path, her focus was always on God. She always trusted that He was in control. It is an amazing and inspirational story.

I would like to make a piece of art for the BirdHouse that uses the thoughts of Ann Judson's missionary heart. I am going to ask the team members to give me a phrase or sentence that was particularly striking. Then, I will go from there.

Several of Ann's thoughts touched me as so truthful:

  • While thus recounting the mercies of God to my soul, I am particularly affected by two considerations: the richness of that grace, which called and stopped me in my dangerous course, and the ungrateful returns I made for so distinguished a blessing.
  • ...constantly to bear in mind that I am in the presence of God.
  • ...the obligation I feel to try to be useful, has induced me to comply.
  • I ought not to consult my own ease; the question should be, how can I be most useful in the world?
  • I am a creature of God and He has an undoubted right to do with me, as seemeth good in His sight.
  • Blessed Jesus, I am thine forever. Do with me what Thou wilt; lead me in the path in which Thou wouldest have me to go, and it is enough.
  • But if the way were plain and easy, where would be the room for confidence in God?

Prayer Needs:

That each team member will connect with God in a deeper way through this service.

No comments: